UGI provides safety tips for the holidays

DENVER As residents begin to hold gatherings and decorate their homes and businesses for the holiday season, UGI encourages all members of the community to remember the following energy-related safety tips:

4Practice good safety habits when using a natural gas oven and stove. If you use natural gas for cooking, be sure to keep loose clothing, dish towels and other flammable items away from the burners and hot stove surfaces.

In addition, to allow for proper air flow and avoid accidental fires, keep your stove and the area around it clean and free from bags, wrappers, product caps, lids and boxes, etc.

4If you use a deep fryer for a fried turkey, operate it safely. Fried turkey is delicious, but preparing one comes with a number of safety issues.

Thousands of fires occur each year due to turkey fryer fires.Set up the turkey fryer at least 10 feet away from your home or garage on a flat, level surface. Keep children and pets away and never leave the fryer unattended.

4Always keep a fire extinguisher ready when cooking. The ideal home fire extinguisher is one that can put out wood, grease, oil and electrical fires, and one that is lightweight enough for anyone to operate easily.

4Remove flammable items from ignition sources.Make sure Christmas trees, gifts, decorations and discarded bags, boxes and wrapping paper are kept away from fireplaces, radiators and other heating sources.

Turn off tree lights and lit decorations when you go to bed or leave the house. Check lights for breaks or exposed wires and discard if damaged.

Unplug extension cords when not in use. If you have a live tree, make sure it has water every day.

4Properly use electric extension cords. If using outdoor lights around your home make sure you use outdoor-rated extension cords and timers.

Follow the directions on cord labels regarding connecting light strings and extension cords to avoid overloading electrical circuits. If a cord feels hot to the touch, it is overloaded and may cause an electrical fire.

To help avoid overheating indoor extension cords, do not run them under furniture or carpeting, behind baseboards, or over walkways. Do not run extension cords through windows or garage doors. Do not string a series of extension cords together.

4Protect your family and co-workers from carbon monoxide (CO). CO is a colorless and odorless gas that can build up inside a home due to malfunctioning heating units or other fuel-burning appliances, as well as by blocked chimneys and exhaust vents.

While CO is odorless, a smoky or sooty smell is often generated by the malfunctioning appliance or blocked chimney. Signs that an appliance may be producing CO include condensation on walls and windows, house pets becoming sluggish, and residents in the home suffering flu-like symptoms or feeling unusually tired.

Individuals who believe they may be experiencing symptoms of CO poisoning should immediately seek fresh air and prompt medical attention.

UGI recommends that all homes have working CO detectors on every floor, especially near heating equipment and bedrooms.

4Call UGI or 911 if you detect the odor of gas.An odorant that smells like rotten eggs is added to natural gas to assist in detecting a gas leak.If you smell the odor of natural gas, leave the building immediately, taking everyone with you and leaving the door open.

Do not use the phone, light a match, or switch anything on or off.Once in a location where the odor of gas is no longer present, call 911 or UGI from your cell phone or neighbor's home.

UGI's emergency response number is (800) 276-2722. UGI will send a service technician to investigate the odor immediately.

Emergency response is available 24-hours a day, every day. There is no cost to investigate a report of a gas leak.

4Use extra caution when using space heaters. Always place a space heater on a level, hard surface and keep anything flammable (such as paper, clothing, bedding curtains, or upholstered furniture) at least three feet away from the unit. Turn off space heaters before leaving the room.

Additional safety tips are available on UGI's website at http://www.ugi.com/safety.

BROOKVILLE - The Department of Health announces a free outdoor, drive-up COVID-19 testing site is open for the public in Jefferson County.

LEEPER - The Clarion Conservation District will hold a free hike program highlighting resilient, local species that rely on and thrive in the harsh conditions of a Pennsylvania winter.

CLARION - Melissa Fulton, executive director of United Way of Clarion County, announces availability of the Creative Entrepreneur Accelerator Program, which matches eligible creative entrepreneurs with existing, free, local, small business consulting services and financial resources up to $2…

CROWN The annual Christmas holiday craft and vendor show will be held from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Friday, Dec. 3, and Saturday, Dec. 4 at the St. Mary Social Hall located in Crown.

CLARION - Youth from the Clarion Area School District are learning an important life skill thanks to area donors who have contributed to the Michael A. Constantino Swim Lesson Scholarship Fund and the United Way of Clarion County.

CLARION - Who would like to have some extra cash this December? The Clarion Area Chamber of Business and Industry is selling tickets for a "Cash Raffle for the month of December 2021."

CLARION - Armstrong Indiana Clarion Drug and Alcohol Commission (AICDAC) and Clarion Drug Free Coalition (CDFC) partnered with local youth and Eagle Scout candidate Chandler Fescenmyer to provide a drug trends presentation, Narcan distribution drive thru, and medication take back event at Kn…

CLARION - The annual fall banquet for the Clarion County Republican Committee will be held at 5 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 28, at Trinity Point Church of God in Clarion.

CLARION - The Alzheimer's Association is inviting Clarion residents to join the fight to end Alzheimer's by participating in the Alzheimer's Association Walk to End Alzheimer's at 9 a.m. on Saturday, Oct. 9 at the Clarion County Courthouse in Clarion. Registration begins at 8 a.m.