CLARION - Clarion Borough Council June 1 awarded a $98,156 contract to Hager Paving Inc. of Strattanville for paving along various streets in the borough.
The work will take place along sections of Barber Street, Eighth Avenue, Weaver Place, Madison Road, Fairview Avenue and Leatherwood Drive.
Other bids on the project included: IA Construction: $111,502; Terra Works: $115,400; Glenn O. Hawbaker: $119,683; and Protech Asphalt Maintenance Inc.: $126,304.
In other business June 1, council:
- Approved the hiring of Eric Sharrar as a full-time public works employee effective immediately at an hourly wage of $17.
Council voted to fill the position last month but that candidate did not accept the job.
- Was advised by council member Brenda Sanders Dede of a 6 p.m. June 16 meeting of the Clarion Blueprint Community at the Clarion United Methodist Church to discuss the ongoing Second Avenue park project.
- Approved a request from United Way of Clarion County for its 5K and 10K race to be held Sept. 25 subject to COVID-19 warnings and following CDC guidelines in place at time of the event.
- Approved a request from Clarion Area School District for the borough to provide in-kind services to haul away old mulch and timbers from the school playground.
- Announced a vacancy on the storm water authority board due to the resignation of Zach Garbarino. Anyone interested in filling the vacancy should contact the borough office at 814-226-7707.
Garbarino, who also serves on borough council, cited schedule conflicts for the resignation.
- Granted permission for legal counsel John Marshall to advertise changes to the borough's traffic ordinances regulating parking.
- Accepted resignation of Neil Kemmer as a borough detective effective May 28. Kemmer remains as a police officer with the borough.
- Promoted Roger Wright to the detective position at an additional $1 per hour wage, effective immediately.
- Accepted a $568 bid from Bayridge Motors, Inc., Staten Island, N.Y./Yousef Dabbagh, Island Lake, Ill, for the borough's decommissioned 2010 police cruiser.